Tuesday, February 15, 2011

A tooth and a dance

It started with Madi's swollen gum. She showed it to me last week after school. It wasn't painful, just strangely puffy. So we made a dental appointment just to be safe. We arrived the next morning at the dentist's office for what I thought was going to be an easy fix. But it turned out to be an infected tooth that needed to be extracted. Extracted. As in, pulled out! Oh it still makes me cringe. I nearly passed out when the dentist brought out her huge tooth (with the long root parts) in a plastic bag. Madi was a trooper. She braved the experience all by herself while I entertained CJ in the waiting area. She stayed home from school and ate lots of yogurt and jello.

We are both grateful for modern medicine and Tropical Cafe Smoothies.

Then there was a Valentine's Dance Saturday night with a live Big Band and dance instruction for the first 45 minutes. Now, my husband isn't what you'd call a dance enthusiast - but he took me, and we danced the night away.

It has been years since I've been to a real dance. In fact, I think the last time I graced a dance floor, I was single. Here's what I loved: I loved that I didn't have to wait uncomfortably on the sidelines to be asked to dance. I loved that we laughed at ourselves--a lot. I loved that by the end of the night we actually could do a couple swing dancing tricks (but only a couple). I loved that we enjoyed sitting next to each other eating chocolate covered strawberries almost as much as dancing.

I didn't love that we had to end the night early because the kids called with an utter breakdown at home. But I loved going home with my sweet heart.

1 comment:

  1. I've done that with both my kids. The first one was by her lonesome but I heard the scream from the waiting room. The second was my Dad pulling it out and me assisting. That was QUITE a scene. I had no choice though b/c I was visiting my Dad and we were leaving for London the next day, so he did NOT want to pull it, but I made him.

    ReplyDelete