Tuesday, February 22, 2011

How did this happen?

...How did my daughter get old enough to be eleven years old?!

It was an unconventional birthday...which was fitting for my wonderfully unconventional girl.

She wore shorts on her birthday, because it was 70 degrees outside. Definitely a first for February.
She wanted to go roller skating, but ended up spending at least half the time playing four square and ping pong.


She wanted chicken kabobs for dinner...and she wanted to eat them outside at a park. By the time my husband met us and we picked up the food from our favorite Afghan Kabob place, it was getting dark. The playground was a black silhouette against the gray sky. But we set up our dinner at a picnic table and ate just as the stars started to appear.

After dinner, she wanted to run to the rocks and climb on them - never mind that it was completely dark. So we ran across the field. And we watched the giant yellow moon rise as we sat on the rocks before loading back up in the car.
She wanted blueberry pie for her birthday (a girl after my own heart), but settled for a flaming donut. The blueberry pie came a couple days later.

My dear dear girl. I love that you are free spirited. I love that you love to learn. I love that you love pie. I love that you're old enough to be a helper in our family and a good friend to me...but young enough that you still let me sing you a lullaby and tuck you in at night. I love that you can't get enough of reading. I love that you sit at the piano and play the "pretty" songs again and again. And though we butt heads occasionally, I love that you are opinionated and strong willed because it will take you far.

I love that you're my daughter. And I marvel that I am so blessed to be your mom.

Happy Birthday Madi!

1 comment:

  1. Holly- that was beautifully put and as usual it gave me chills. I love the way you write things! Thanks for sharing your talents!

    ReplyDelete