Thursday, February 4, 2010

Peace Like A River


"A test of a good novel is dreading to begin the last chapter." - Thomas Helm

I'm not a book reviewer. But every once in a while I feel compelled to write about my experience with a book. It took me two months to read "Peace Like a River"- not because it is excessively long, or because I was slowed by boredom. Quite the contrary. The prose were so beautiful, the verbs and descriptions so original and intelligent, I slowed down (more than usual) to relish the writing. I took notes. I read with a pen in my hand ready to underline sentences and phrases. The story and characters--so real and engaging--became my companions, part of my daily thoughts.
I postponed reading the final chapter for three days (something I've only done two other times). I just wasn't ready for the book to end. When I finally finished, locked in my bedroom, the ending did not disappoint. I closed the book feeling genuinely sad and achingly happy.
It is one of the few books I will read again.

3 comments:

  1. I read this years ago while living in Minnesota and loved it as well. I think I may go pull it out before the storm hits tomorrow so I can remember a few parts that have left my memory. Hope all is well!
    Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO GLAD you liked it. That book blew me away, it thought it was stunning. :)

    OH, and happy birthday tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book has one of the best endings ever.

    ReplyDelete