Monday, January 11, 2010

Winter Blues

With all my checklists, burning lists, and good intentions, this first week of January was a doozy. I began each day with such high expectations. I made my bed every morning. I read my scriptures before checking facebook. I cooked a piping hot breakfast for the kids and sent them off to school with a Donna Reed cheerful smile. Then I got down on the floor with Charlotte, making block towers and doing puzzles. As soon as she went down for her morning nap, I diligently went to work cleaning the house and trying to write.

But somewhere between lunch and dinner, between loading kids up into a cold van to run errands and gritting my teeth (gathering my courage) to take a run out in the subfreezing temperature, I got a bad case of the winter blues.

By Thursday I felt beaten. I tried wearing my new bright coral colored shirt to ward off those creeping blues, but it didn't work. They came anyway. And I went to bed discouraged and afraid of the morning.

No lessons learned. Just blue.

1 comment: