Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Prayer for my Children


Last night as I lay in bed I found myself thinking about my children, as I often do. I wondered if I'd done enough for them, worried about their individual struggles, and hoped that if nothing else, they felt loved.

I marveled at how different each child is - even though they're the product of the same gene pool and the same parenting. And I was overwhelmed with the feeling that their individuality is a reflection of something beyond their DNA - it is a reflection of their souls.

So there in the dark, I offered a prayer for each of their precious souls:

To my oldest. May you feel that you are loved for much more than your accomplishments. May you know that inside, you shine. And that no matter what mistakes, or hard times you experience along the way, you are good.

To my second. May you have the courage to remain meek. Don't stop your homesick tears or hide your tender heart.

To my third. May you feel acceptance. May you keep your optimism even when others discourage you.

To my fourth. May you find the sunshine instead of the gloom. May you embrace your position in our family and find joy in being a brother.

To my last. May you always be adored. And if the world proves rough, may you laugh your way through each day, as you do now.

4 comments:

  1. Holly, that is just so lovely. I love you! Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prof Abbe! that was very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You must be very sweet to your kids

    Best Friend

    ReplyDelete
  4. You obviously know those sweet spirits very well. Nicely said, Holly.

    ReplyDelete