Sunday, January 17, 2010

So, I'm really not a fan of "Build A Bear" stores. In the past, each time we've walked by one in the mall, I consciously speed up or steer my kids to the far side of the corridor in an effort to avoid it. But, my kids must have a stuffed animal honing beacon, because inevitably each time we walk by I am suddenly attacked with requests: "Oh! Can we go there?," "Look how cute!" or the especially guilt-inducing comment, "My friend, so and so, had a birthday party there!"

I guess I'm against the cost. Just one more way to waste money.

However, yesterday I did what I promised I'd never do. I crossed the build-a-bear threshold with my three oldest girls. Their 4-H bunny club sponsored an activity there. 30 young kids, each with a stuffed animal to make all their own. Oh the squeals. Oh the joy. Oh the price tag (good thing the event was substantially subsidized by the club!)

Actually, it was fun. I dressed and undressed Leasie's stuffed bunny at least a dozen times. She wanted to try each outfit on her bunny before deciding which to purchase. And it was good watching my kids dig out their own saved money to supplement the stuffed animal accessories.

So even though I'm not a fan, my kids are. And, I confess, I did enjoy watching how happy they were playing with their new stuffed rabbits in the car on the way home. And yes, I even kissed Madi's rabbit goodnight when I tucked her in bed.

1 comment: