Sunday, June 1, 2014

Goodbye Parties

Four parties in one week. The school counselor encouraged us to make time for "goodbyes" - so I guess we're doing that pretty well.

Party #1: Jamu with my High School English Department

Really, we DO work hard as teachers. However, it's finals week here at Jakarta International School, and after a day of grading essays, we met at Jamu - the most lovely spa in all of Jakarta.

Neck and Shoulder massages. Pedicures. Cream baths.

This is our fourth outing as a dept. to Jamu over the past two years. How I will miss these fun ladies (Shana, Melody, Leizel, Gloria, and Beata) whom I've learned so much from and who have made working such a joy! And of course, I'll miss our relaxaing, rejuvenating, celebration time together at Jamu.

Party #2: Amelia's Goodbye Party
The coolest part of this party was the demographics represented by her closest 4th grade friends.
Laura is Columbian, Annabelle is half Australian-half Indonesian, and Bianca is Italian. 
They are all bilingual except Amelia. 
It was brilliant to listen to their conversation around the dinner table, each with their own accents, backgrounds, and stories to share.
I love how we've met people from all over the world and we've come to realize just how much we truly are all alike.

Party #3 Our First Boy-Girl Party!

Elise hosted a party with 5 boys and 5 girls from school. They did a photo scavenger hunt around the neighborhood, dined at Lottemart at Lippo mall, and swam with glow-sticks.
After a difficult couple years in elementary school, it has made me happy Elise found a good group of friends.  Again, the demographics are fantastic! Her friends are from the following countries: Scotland, Sweden, England, Indonesian, Australian, New Zealand, and Vietnam.

Party #4: JIS Faculty Farewell Party

Two Elementary Schools+One Middle School+One High School= 250 faculty members!

Last year our farewell party was held at the Ritz Carlton hotel. This year it was held under beautiful blue and white tents with twinkly lights. There were five food stations: middle eastern menu, Indian food, hot dogs/hamburgers, Indonesian, and a dessert bar.

My mom and sister (both public school teachers in America) tell me this kind of end of the year celebration is not normal. Their typical public school, faculty parties are potluck, in the library, served on paper dishes. So, knowing this will be the end of luxurious parties, I tried to enjoy every moment. 

 Brian, Carrie, me, and Shana - some of my most favorite JIS people.  
(Two of those plates and the chocolate ice cream cup are mine. See? I really was trying to enjoy!)

Below, I take a minute to chat with Tim Carr, head of JIS. I shared with him how Amelia had woken up so sad. When I asked her why, she replied, "Because after today, I will only have 5 more days at JIS." 
I feel the same way. I have loved my time here as a teacher at this wonderful school.

It started to rain just as I left the party. Thunder rolled overhead and mingled with the music from the live band. I walked to my car without an umbrella and didn't mind stepping in the puddles. I laughed with Shana as we tried, in vain, to find cover under a porch. Somehow the rain, the thunder, the music, and laughter all rolled together and seemed a fitting end to this wonderful time.   

No comments:

Post a Comment