Friday, February 21, 2014

2.5 years later...

Catching up on some things I've been thinking about...

Two and a half years ago I flew from Virginia to Indonesia with the five children. I did this without the help of my husband who had already traveled to Jakarta two weeks prior. My survival of this experience with five children was made possible by my very mature oldest two daughters (then only 11 and 9 years old who I promoted to adult status for the 24 hours of travel) and the calming virtue of Xanax for me (sorry Mom, it's true). Our flight included a stopover in Hong Kong which I wrote briefly about here.

This January, we took the same flight again. And again, I was solo without Owen. The kids and I ended up in the same Hong Kong terminal. Same waiting area. Same view of the emerald mountains of behind the city of Hong Kong. Same shops and restaurants. So much sameness it prompted an easy comparison of the two experience. I had some quiet moments in the airport while the kids were reading or watching Adventure Time on the huge tv (did I mention that Hong Kong is a GREAT airport?) to think about how we've changed and how we've remained the same.


Here's what I came up with: 
1) Traveling is a lot easier with older children. I actually got relatively good sleep on the airplane (except when I sat by the drugged, drooling man), and even got to watch a couple movies. 
2) I did not need to use Xanax (though I had a few with me, just in case). I'm much calmer than I was two years ago. Perhaps it's exhaustion or laziness, but I was pretty chill. 
3) I really love watching my children be independent. They are champs when it comes to security checks and customs. We have the process down: Madi goes first to collect my purse and laptop on the other side. I go last to help everyone else through. Jackets off. Shoes off. No liquids. Etc.
4) Teenager-hood. Whoa. Whole different ballgame. Enough said.  
5) The emerald mountains of Hong Kong are still enchanting.
6) The bowl of noodles is still the best Truman has ever had. After enjoying a first bite he announced, "They're just as good as I remember." 
Two and a half years ago, the traveling was a HUGE hurdle, a challenge, a test of my patience and survival parenting skills. This time, it was more than do-able. It was, at times, even fun.

I hope in the future as I face trials and challenges, I can look back on this comparison and find strength. Some things do get easier.  

No comments:

Post a Comment