Sunday, December 8, 2013

Some Things I Learned from This Year's Primary Nativity

Last night we gathered in the Bill's home at the American Club for our church's annual Christmas party. The warm balmy air stirred the palm trees. The buzz of the motorcycles was drowned out by Tom Bill's piano playing. And the fact that the only snow to be seen was the fake snowflakes hanging above the door, didn't hinder the Christmas Spirit.

Can I just say? Mormons really know how to present a wonderful meal for a huge crowd. Moist turkey, fluffy mashed potatoes, salads, homemade rolls...and delicious cookies and bars. I will not confess how many treats I tried, but I will say the soft ginger cookies and the Hello-Dolly bars were my favorites. (I'm starting to taste sweet again--and it is truly delightful!)

I sat by Dawn, Cherylyn, and Julia at dinner...we talked about food, holiday plans, and furniture shopping. And somewhere between a bite of mashed potatoes and thinking about going back for seconds, I was struck with how much I love these ladies. So instead of going back for seconds, I just sat back in my folding chair and listened to them. Knowing this is my last Christmas celebration with them made the moment particularly bittersweet.

And then there was the program, organized by the primary (Oh the joy of getting to sit back and just enjoy - now that I'm no longer serving in primary!!) Some favorite moments:

1. Bishop Woodland as the Ghost of Christmas Future - full on Grim Reaper costume saying "Beware!"
2. Tom Bill's energetic rendition of "Feliz Navidad"
3. The Prendergast family's mini-people dance (I laughed until tears streamed down my face!)
4. Joining the women for an anklung choir of "The Chipmunk Song."
5. The girls and I singing Jakarta Style Christmas Carols: "I'm Dreaming of No Traffic" (to the tune of "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas").
6. The youth presenting a hilarious version of the 12 Days of Christmas
7. And of course...the Nativity.

The Nativity this year was full of the normal humorous antics: Mary practically juggled the baby Jesus in her enthusiastic rocking. The Shepherds exhibited true fear when the angels arrived and they had to be told to "stop being fearful" by the narrator (Elise). And the "live" sheep played by Madi Whitaker looked more like a white executioner in her ghost sheep costume.

But there were some tender learning moments for me too...
After MUCH practice (reciting in various locations like in the car, at meal times, and during family scripture study), Amelia delivered her well-rehearsed Angel Lines. As she said those beautiful words "For unto you is born this day, in the city of David, a Savior, which is Christ the Lord..." I wondered...had the angel who greeted the shepherds that night long ago practiced the wonderful declaration too? For such an eternally important event...I suspect the answer is yes.

I learned something from the Wisemen too. While the congregation sang "We Three Kings of Orient Are" the Wisemen (led by Truman) circled the living room - enacting their long journey. On their second lap around the room, they realized the song was ending soon, so they picked up their speed. By the end, they practically ran, nearly tripping over their long robes in their hurry, to get back to the Manger. How fitting. And I wondered, do I show the same amount of eagerness to find and follow Christ in my life?

Charlotte did not pillage the Wisemen gifts this year. Instead, she sang her angel songs with joy and with a huge smile on her face. She kept trying to catch my eye - as though she wanted to make sure I was seeing her effort.

I smiled back. And my smile said: Yes, I see you sweet girl! Yes, I feel so joyful too!

But perhaps one of my favorite moments was after the program, in one of the Bill's bedrooms/converted to a dressing room for the Nativity. I found myself gathering and folding the robes, scarves, and sashes with my friends, Lyndi, KA, and Tasi. I've loved celebrating Christmas with these awesome ladies. How I will miss them next year. My Jakarta family.

We walked out into the tropical night, said "Selamat Malam" to the embassy guards, picked our way back over the broken sidewalks to our car, and I realized there was no place I'd rather be.

Merry Christmas from Jakarta!!

No comments:

Post a Comment