Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Christmas Experiment

The eve of Christmas Eve was dismal. I spent the entire day shopping for last minute gifts (arguably lots of stuff we don't really need). I spent way too much. I felt cranky, fed-up, a bit sick to my stomach, and far from the Christmas spirit.

Christmas Eve morning I awoke before the kids and lay in bed thinking. We had planned to go to the mall for our traditional ice skating adventure, followed by an A&W restaurant lunch. But I realized I just couldn't stomach another day of malls, shopping, glitzy Christmas decorations, and basically activities that aren't very soul-satisfying.

So, inspired by this video on the Philippines, I decided to change our plans. I knew if I could just stop thinking so much about stuff, getting, and recreational fun for ME, there was a good chance I'd feel the holiday spirit. I had exactly one day to try to do some good. Obviously, I couldn't jump on a plane and head to the Philippines, but there were plenty of people in need right in my Jakarta neighborhood.

Little did I know just how much this day would change me and my family...

When I proposed the change of plans to the kids, I was humbled by their willingness and eagerness. We started with some cash (the $60 we would have spent on ice skating and lunch) and a list and headed to the neighborhood grocery store. Here's our story in pictures of what happened next:

(Yes, it's an escalator in the grocery store) 
Toys, food, and Bacari Sweat (like Gatorade).
Assembling bags. 
First delivery was to a family of four who own and live at their small shop, which is smaller than my downstairs bathroom. I buy minutes for my cell phone here every other week.
  
 Next stop: Ria and her grandaughter Sasha. Ria is a tailor who lives with her extended family at her shop. When Charlotte gave Sasha the gift, Sasha kissed Charlotte on the cheek.
Next we drove to the day workers - just a couple blocks from our house these men wait on the side of the road to be picked up for manual labor and taken to various construction sites every day. Notice they are barefoot. 
 Finally, the garbage pickers. They are the hardest working people I see in Jakarta. They pull their handcarts filled with trash down the busy streets.
My most heartbreaking moment: a garbage-picking mom and her young son. The young boy was sick with fever. He slept on the ground. Flies swarmed.

 Owen and I drove back to this location later that day with medicine. But the Mom and son were gone. I hope the money and food we gave them helped. 

This all happened within walking distance to my house - less than one square mile. So many people in need. While we only did something small - just handed out some food - it still felt good. 
So good, in fact, that after we were out of bags to give, my kids wanted to do more...

So my children donated their own money, we went back to the store, and repeated the entire event again.

What could have gone down as a non-memorable, self-gratifying day turned into one that changed me. I was humbled. I was touched by the meekness of the Indonesian people and their beautiful smiles. 

Somehow, on the polluted streets of Jakarta, I found the Christmas spirit. I thought of a tiny baby born in a stable. I thought of His life spent in service and sacrifice. And I went to bed Christmas Eve night not only overwhelmed for my blessings, but also praying for all the people I had come in contact with that day.

Best Christmas Eve ever.

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful story and how this shows the true meaning of Christmas - Merry Christmas Abbe Family - we love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed your blog posting!! I read about your blog in your mom's Christmas letter, and decided to have a look. Nice to "see" you after all these years. I've passed the link to your blog on to Tabitha. Happy 2014!!
    Linda Colton (Tab's mom)

    ReplyDelete