Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Redo Birthday

Last weekend, just 10 days after my actual birthday, I finally celebrated - really celebrated - my birthday.

The older I get, the less fussy I am about having a "party." But the truth is, when something actually comes together, it feels so nice. I don't like celebrating accumulating years (at my age, getting older is no longer an anticipated accomplishment). But I do love being with friends. Is it too narcissistic to say that, if nothing else, a birthday celebration is a reminder that I have family and friends who like me enough to celebrate the years I've been on this earth? (Probably too narcissistic. But since I'm in a low-editing mode, I'll leave it). 

Madi has a February birthday and so does Karla Ann (my neighbor and friend). So we combined. A triple bday celebration! We met at Lena and Dan's house. (Actually we just invited ourselves over because they have Wii Rock Band and Kinect Dance Central.) 

We boogied, sang, and did a series of serious competitions. I love this picture because Renee (hand over face in frustration) ended up being the dance champion of the night.  

  
One of the birthday presents from my husband (by special request from me) was that he promised to dance at the party. Here he is fulfilling that promise: 

 

The blurry little guy in the front is Tman who pretty much rocked the house!

And we made three cakes because you can never have too much cake. I made the lemon cake, and it turned out quite yummy.


The best part about the birthday redo is that it trumped anything I had planned for my actual birthday.
This past year was filled with some huge moments for me: 
Fulfilling my lifelong dream of traveling to Italy.
Taking Madi to the temple in Preston, England.
Watching my twins get baptized.
Becoming a 9th grade English teacher. 

But none of those things crossed my mind as I blew out my candles. I had just one wish. Happiness. Happiness that comes with huge things (like listed above) and small, everyday things. Like watching my husband dance to the Blues Brothers and eating chocolate and lemon cake (of course I had both!) with people I love. Happiness.

1 comment:

  1. I. LOVE. This. Post!!! Truly captures the essence of why we all love our birthdays (wrinkles, aches, aging and all :-) I love your guts, Lady! And might I add that you DON' T look a day past the age you were when you first entered my life some odd years ago ;-) SO glad that your redo was fab!

    ReplyDelete