Monday, February 11, 2013

Medevac & Jakarta healthcare

Tuesday afternoon I came home from school feeling miserable. By Tuesday night, with a temperature of 104 and abdominal pain that put me into "pregnancy labor breathing," I knew something was wrong. However, I assumed, flu. Just a virus.

Getting sick is just part of life in Jakarta. Between bacteria issues in the food and water, parasites, and regular germs, Jakarta is a petri dish of sickness just waiting to happen. It seems that any given day, someone I know is sick. So I wasn't surprised or alarmed by my symptoms.

I got up Thursday and still felt really bad. I'd been plagued by abdominal pains that kept me awake. So I made an appointment and drove the hour to get to the embassy (something I don't like to do uless absolutely necessary because of the hassle).

The embassy has a fantastic medical unit - currently, three full time doctors and a full staff of nurses. During the exam, Dr. Blaker noted that my abdominal pain was quite localized - lower right. He wanted to rule out an appendicitis, so I found myself back in the car on the way to Semanggi hospital for a CT scan.

Semanggi hospital is a local Jakarta hospital. It is quite modern, clean and spacious. Also very quiet. But the staff seemed in absolutely no hurry. So I waited and waited and waited. I watched Indonesian TV - melodramatic soap operas and world news. At one point, I walked over to the huge windows and looked out from the twenty-fifth floor across the Jakarta skyline. Below me I could see hoards of cars. A brown river snaked near shacks and behind the high walls of luxury hotels. A group of boys, just specks, played a game of soccer in a dirt field. I hummed "Happy Birthday" to myself and allowed myself a moment to wallow in a bit of self pity.

Between my limited Indonesian and the nurse's limited English I followed instructions to disrobe and drink a scary orange liquid (which I thought I might die from if the abdominal pains didn't kill me). I showed up in the CT room with my pants still on - due to miscommunication - and was whisked back into the changing room.

More waiting. Finally, hours later, I left with my CT results in hand. The best part of my day was arriving home to find a chocolate cake waiting from me. From my Visiting Teacher. It is amazing how one act of kindness turned a pretty dismal day into a happy one. That act of kindness was like a warm hug that I carried with me over the next couple days.

Friday afternoon, at my follow-up appointment, the doctor expressed concern with the CT results. With the  risk of possibly needing an operation (something that I prefer NOT to have in a 3rd world country), he recommended a Medevac. And within just hours, I found myself on an airplane to Singapore. Hindsight is always 20-20, and I learned that I truly should have brought my husband with me.

Here's the quick overview:
One hour delay in Jakarta.
Arrived at Singapore at midnight.
150 people in the taxi line ahead of me (yes, I counted. I had plenty of time to count).
Taxi driver took me to the wrong hospital.
Second taxi driver took me to the right hospital.
Admitted at 3AM.
Totally exhausted. Can't think straight.
IV - ouch. Fluids so cold that I can feel them enter my hand and arm.
Shared room with a lady who had had mouth surgery. Lots of moaning from her side of the room.
Not much sleep.
Missed my family something fierce.
Next day. Abdominal pains gone. Fever down.
Final prognosis: Probably just a nasty virus. And watch appendix for future complications.
Discharged at 2PM.

It was Chinese New Year weekend. So the embassy arranged for me to stay in a nice hotel instead of figuring out flights on the holiday.

Here's the only picture I have of the entire Medevac trip. And I realize it has absolutely nothing to do with the medical part of the experience. It was my room service dinner. The first solid food I'd eaten since Friday morning. Oh, it was so good.


As I sipped the tomato soup, I found myself feeling overwhelmed with all the things I take for granted in the US: Food without fear of bacteria (most of the time). Water from the faucet. And access to world-class medical care just a short 20 minute drive away.

Bottom line: I was well taken care of. But wow, I really miss America.

Interesting fact: American Embassy in Jakarta medevacs 2 people per week to Singapore. That's over 100 a year. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow - what a story. I knew we'd eventually hear what happened. So sorry you had to go through that and glad you are feeling better now. We were just in Belize at an island off the city - there was a sign "Two cemetaries but no hospital" - we do take things for granted in the US. Hope you won't have another episode like this while you are there.

    ReplyDelete