Thursday, January 3, 2013

Twins Turn 9!

This year whizzed by. Whizzed. How is it that my twins are 9? Didn't they just get baptized? I've been told by veteran parents that, at this point, the clock doesn't slow down. But wow, I'm still surprised by the speed of time. As much as I told the twins to "Stop growing!" and to "Stay small!" they did not obey.

We celebrated with double pies: lemon cream for Amelia and pumpkin for Truman (thankfully, I had leftover canned pumpkin from holiday care packages - thank you care package fairies!!). 

We spent their birthday morning driving back from the Ambassador's guest house in Puncak. We left at 5AM to try to beat the traffic. I love this picture I snapped of the two of them. Amelia had just woken up. She tried to stay still so she wouldn't wake Truman.
Here are some of my thoughts about you two:

Amelia, you have followed your passion for anything hands-on: drawing, creating, and sewing. You hand-sewed a tiny, blue satin jacket for your sister's Calico Critter as a Christmas present. And you surprise me, almost daily, with a new drawing, or handmade card, or doll made of sticks. You were thrilled to sign up for an after school ceramics class. You tried out for "Alice in Wonderland" the elementary school play. You wanted to get a speaking part so badly. You said, "I just want one line. I'd be happy just to be the door knob!" And although you didn't get a speaking role (and it broke our hearts a little bit), you maintained your cheerfulness. You are tenacious and eternally optimistic - both traits will serve you well throughout your life.

Truman, you have continued to develop your talents at chess, soccer, and piano. And you have really tried to be a good friend. You've enjoyed time with Tane (your friend from New Zealand) and Daniel, who lives here in the neighborhood. You have a perfectionist tendency that I envy.
I know it was a disappointment to not make the Coca Cola Soccer team this year. But I'm proud of you for not giving up. The fact that you chose a soccer after school activity so you can continue developing your soccer skills, shows great resiliency and determination.

Perhaps my favorite thing this year is the fact that you two are in back in the same class at school. Yay! You both love Mrs. Eward. And you look out for each other. Remember when you told me about your project presentation day at school? Truman, you said you made sure you put a positive comment (sticky note) on Amelia's game. And Amelia did the same thing for Truman's poster.

Here you are with Mrs. Eward on the day I brought in birthday treats for your class. I love how you both couldn't stop laughing and smiling.

Not only are you incredible individuals, you are also really special to each other. Everyone in this world needs a friend. Lucky for you, you came into this world not just with a twin, but with a built-in friend.

Happy Birthday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment