Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Today I am a Mermaid

Let me preface by confessing that I don't particularly enjoy imaginary play - which may surprise those of you who know how much I love to be in a play (as in, on a stage).  And my dislike for imaginary play seems to have increased (instead of decreased) with each addition to our family. Chances are, I've even blogged about this particular subject before. I LOVE reading books to my kids, or playing a game, or building a puzzle, or having my children help in the kitchen. But the moment one of them brings out the dress up box, I really want to run and hide.

However, now that Madi is nearly 13, I realize that the imaginary-play-phase of childhood is fleeting. And so in an effort to correct past wrongs, I've tried to embrace pretend play.

Last week, I played power miners with Tman. I was the rock monster that attacked the rig and stole the jewels. I lasted fifteen minutes. But they were a good fifteen minutes.

Since Thanksgiving, any chance CJ gets, she asks me to play Pilgrims. We've enacted the plight of the Pilgrims again and again. We pretend we're on the Mayflower. Then we survive the winter in Plymouth. The Indians help us. And we celebrate with a Thanksgiving feast.

And just a few days ago, CJ wanted me to be a mermaid. I didn't have to do much - just perch on the couch and flap my feet as though I had a mermaid tail. 

I tried really hard NOT to keep checking the clock.

I have a memory of my mom sitting on the floor in my room when I was young. I must have been less than six years old because we were in our house in Alabama. I remember there were long yellow curtains in my room. We sat together and played with my "Sunshine Family" dolls - predecessors to barbies. I don't remember the storyline. But I just remember being there with my mom. And it is a good memory.

I have some wonderful roles to fill in this life: wife, mother, friend, teacher, runner, writer, traveler, baker, singer, etc. But I humbly add the following roles to my list:

Rock Monster
Pilgrim
Mermaid
and...Playmate.

No comments:

Post a Comment