Thursday, July 7, 2011

Rolling with the Punches

Yesterday we found out that Meya needs surgery on her eyes. She has a similar condition that Tman had, only instead of her eyes crossing (like Tman's did), her eyes turn slightly out. We knew that down the road, surgery was a possibility. But as of yesterday's check-up, the doctor said, "It's time."

The good news: Meya will be able to have the surgery here in the US, with a doctor that we know and trust.

The bad news: Our departure to Indonesia is now complicated. My husband will still leave as scheduled. But the kids and I will now stay an additional two weeks to allow Meya's eyes to heal. Then (deep breath!) I will fly with the kids, on my own, to Indonesia. We will arrive (another deep breath!) with only three days before the kids have to start school.

I experienced a modified version of the 7-steps of grief while in the doctor's office. I choked on denial then moved on to accept not only the diagnosis, but also the solution. Panic ebbed and flowed as the consequences of the decision (mainly the 22 hours on a plane with my 2 year old and no husband) became clear. Then after leaving the doctor's office and riding the elevator down two floors, I gave in to tears. My emotion unnerved Madi who came to my side and hugged me.

And then, something else happened...I called my mom as I drove home. From her perspective (which I quickly adopted) she saw this as a HUGE blessing. How much better for us to have Meya's medical care done here than trying to work things out in a third-world country where I don't even speak the language. Also, we both realized that my mom and dad will actually be here when Meya has her surgery - dad was going to be here on business anyway.

Finally, my mom reminded me that pioneer blood runs in my veins. If my ancestors could trek across the plains pulling their belongings in wagons and handcarts, I could certainly survive a plane flight and lay-overs that will last less than two days.

By the end of the day, my perspective had changed. Instead of seeing this turn of events as a punch to the stomach, I saw it as a huge blessing, wrapped up just for us, that happened to land perfectly in my lap. I am reminded that Heavenly Father is mindful of me and my family, and for that I am so grateful. Instead of feeling buffeted and bruised, I felt blessed. Yes, it had been a stressful day, but I was able to lie down and sleep soundly last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment