Monday, March 1, 2010

100,000 Miles

This weekend we said goodbye to our Dodge Caravan. It had been dying a slow, painful (expensive) death over the past few months, so it was definitely time to move on. I parted with the Dodge for 1/10 of what we bought it for, and didn't even blink. I was glad to be rid of the aging engine, the iffy transmission, and the collection of stains and spills collected over the past six years.

But as I was running the next day, I got to thinking about that good 'ol car. And can you believe, I started getting a little sentimental? I felt badly that after 100,000 miles, I had left it, parked in the dark, lost amongst the rows of Toyotas, without a proper goodbye.

So here's my goodbye:
Thank you, Dodge Caravan, for fitting four car seats comfortably. (Picture taken in 2004).
Thank you, Dodge Caravan, for getting my family safely from one side of the country to the other.
Thank you, Dodge Caravan, for the multiple trips to Myrtle Beach--and for not minding the sand that inevitably tagged along.
Thank you, Dodge Caravan, for clocking the mileage of my runs and making me feel good about even the smallest tenth-mile improvement.
Thank you for lulling the children to sleep during our all-night-long drives to Mississippi.
Thank you for the dance music--for letting us boogie from our seats.
Thank you for holding so much stuff (especially on Costco runs and Ikea shopping trips!)
Thank you for keeping us toasty warm on snowing days.
And thank you for keeping us cool as we drove home from the swimming pool in mid-August.

(Here are the twins on the floor of the Dodge right after a diaper change, 2004)
Though I won't miss the stubborn mystery stain that looks suspiciously like a McDonald's strawberry milkshake, or the crayon drawings of the sun under the back window, or the frequent trips to Mark the mechanic (we're on a first name basis), you've been good to us.

Thanks for the journey.

4 comments:

  1. haha! This was a good read. I feel the same way about cars that I part with, they become kinda like family.

    Im gonna take my car for a car wash now, best one possible too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too cute Holly! I guess I love getting a new car so much- I jump into it and don't look back. 4 years is about my max with a car then I HAVE to have a change! Hopefully, you will get to liking your new car soon even though in your words it is "just another van!" Many more memories to come!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh friend. I know you know how I feel. These items that take our journey with us become sentimental because of what we've seen together. I'm sure you'll love your new one though :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good bye my dear car. How we'll miss you. You've allways been there. And now i'm glad your finally not here. What a relief.

    ReplyDelete