Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Winter Storm


When the children woke up Saturday morning they ran downstairs to the sliding glass door. They sat together oohing and ahhing, their noses pressed against the cold glass, their warm breath fogging in circles. And for a few moments, they were silent, sitting back, captivated by what they saw unfolding outside. To me, this picture of them together represents everything good about a storm: togetherness and awe. I love how Baby C is in the middle, snuggled between her big sisters as they introduce her to the snow storm.

There is something about a storm that I just love. Being the daugther of a former Coast Guard Helicopter pilot, I've been programmed to relish and reverence a good storm. I love how a storm brings us closer together. Sure, we're logistically sequestered by Mother Nature, but there's also the voluntary desire to nestle, cuddle, linger in pajamas, and wrap up together in blankets. I also love the sheer power of a storm...how awe-inspiring, to watch the swirling flakes, so tiny in the air, build layer upon layer until the yard is swallowed in white and only the tips of our garden fence poke through.

And of course, the other great thing about a storm--being out in it! We have taken some walks, built a snow fort, encouraged snowball fights, and sledded for hours. Again, togetherness.
In a couple days, I'll be opening presents with my family. But perhaps, the best present of this Christmas season was our perfect storm.


2 comments:

  1. We had so much fun and no school!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I hope it snows again

    Madi

    ReplyDelete