Thursday, December 31, 2009

Leave Behind in 2009


We sat around the kitchen table with paper and colored markers in hand. Each one of us wrote a list of things we're "Leaving behind in 2009." Tomorrow we will write a second list - a year long to do list of positive goals and aspirations.

But tonight it was about shedding ourselves of the undesireable.

My list was short, but the brevity of the list doesn't necessarily mean it will be easily accomplished.

I will leave behind in 2009:
1. Procrastination (mainly in regards to writing, scripture study, and housework)
2. Meanness (my mean streak has reared its ugly head much too often this year)
3. Debt
4. Allowing myself to be distracted from the important things in life by the unimportant

We stood with papers in hand, hovering near the fireplace, (Tman, with great excitement) and took turns reading our lists aloud. Some of my favorites included "Kicking my sisters," "Whining," "Complaining about my dish job," and "Having to be asked to make my bed." Then we struck a match and touched the yellow flame to each paper. We held the burning list for just a moment watching the paper shrink and curl, then tossed the lists into the fireplace where we witnessed their disappearance into smoke and ash.

With only one almost-burned thumb (Meya's) and no cinged eyebrows, the activity was a success.

While there was so much about 2009 that was good, I feel a renewed desire to leave behind the mistakes and shortcomings I have made over the last year, and create an even better 2010 for myself and my family.

And tonight, I am thankful for the passage of time, for the lessons learned, and for the chance to start anew.

2 comments: