Wednesday, October 7, 2009

My boy and Eeyore

T-man's Kindergarten teacher has nicknamed him "Eeyore." And I guess I'm not surprised and I'm certainly not worried or offended. So far, T-man and Kindergarten have not gotten along too well. During the summer, we'd talked up Kindergarten so much that his expectations were sky-high. I think he expected to do math, learn to read, study space, do science experiments all in the first week of school. And alas, he has yet to do much more than learn the rules, sit crisscross applesauce for story time, sing "Tootie Tah," and do art projects. He mopes through these Kindergarten rituals half-heartedly and comes home very disappointed.

Everyday he trudges off the school bus with the same sentence: "I hate school!" And when I probe he adds, "Too many rules! We never learn anything!"

At home, we've created an Agreeable Chart that hangs on the fridge. Everyday that he tells me something positive about school, he gets a star. So far, he has 17. When he gets to 20, he gets a small treat. In the meantime, we are trying to make-up for the lack of hard-core academics at home. T-man writes his numbers to 100, reads from the Dick and Jane series, and watches movies about the solar system.

I would never consider pulling him out of Kindergarten - I think he's gaining valuable skills like social interaction, self-control, and respect of authority figures. But I'm extremely grateful it is only half-day and I can fill the rest of his day with worthwhile activities (even if some days they are tree climbing and bike riding).

Eeyore is one of my favorite characters in children's literature. He is honest and doesn't mince words. He is also loyal and forgiving. Besides, we can't all be happy all the time. Eeyore said it best himself...

"Good morning, Eeyore," said Pooh.
"Good morning, Pooh Bear," said Eeyore gloomily. "If it is a good morning, which I doubt," said he.
"Why, what's the matter?"
"Nothing, Pooh Bear, nothing. We can't all, and some of us don't. That's all there is to it."
"Can't all what?" said Pooh, rubbing his nose.
"Gaiety. Song-and-dance. Here we go round the mulberry bush."

So T-man as "Eeyore" is okay with me.

1 comment:

  1. It's interesting b/c I am actually on the verge of considering pulling Xavey out of 1st and homeschooling for a while. Lots of reasons, but a couple books are making me think.

    School is such a dynamic, ever changing thing and what works for some much of the time sometimes does not work for the one and when that one is yours, it's hard but so necessary to take a hard look and decide what's most important. I am always re-evaluating what's happening with my kids. I love that we all get to make choices that we think are the best for our kids.

    I know Truman will find his love of Kindergarten soon :) You're a great mom! I think encouraging "agreeableness" is a great idea :)

    ReplyDelete