Thursday, January 22, 2009

Growing a Neck


Amelia, (barely) 5, asked me an important question today. With eyebrows furrowed in seriousness, she said, "When will Charlotte grow a neck?" Charlotte, 4 months, does indeed appear to have no neck. Though I know it's there, it is as illusive as blue birds in winter. We catch rare glimpses of her neck when she is stretching to see the toy that has dropped just out of reach. And it appears when she strains to see her siblings playing loudly. But as quickly as we see it, it just as soon disppears, hidden by chubby pink cheeks.

I wish some of my body parts would magically disappear just as Charlotte's neck seems to. Like, for instance, my roll of post pregnancy belly. Truman, also (barely) 5, calls it his "cushy pillow." Aww shucks. It was really only cute the first time. Just yesterday he asked if he could watch TV while resting on the cushy pillow - pointing, not to the fabric pillows on the couch, but to my belly.

My hope: just as Charlotte's neck starts making regular appearances, my cushy pillow will disappear!

One can always hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment