Monday, January 26, 2009

Chinese New Year...and a little fire!

I love any excuse to have a party. I've baked cakes to celebrate soccer games, mark test completions, and turn "a horrible day" into "a fun day."

So when a friend reminded me that today is the Chinese New Year, it was the gentle shove I needed to announce a family party! This afternoon, I pulled the Lucky China menu from the cupboard, grabbed the phone, and ordered a smattering of Chinese-American delicacies. (Okay, never mind the party, I'd use any excuse to not have to cook dinner!) Minutes later, I'd picked up our order and the car was suddenly infused with the unmistakable, yummy aroma of Chinese food. I think my favorite part of Chinese cuisine is the tiny white containers--so neat and tidy. I also love getting to sample a little bit of everyone's choice and reading the fortunes. Madilyn scored on her fortune: "You will inherit money or land this year." SCORE!

After dinner we held Family Home Evening. For the activity I retrieved some dusty fireworks left over from the 4th of July. In the cold and dark, we lit the fireworks on our back porch. The kids huddled together on the stairs and Charlotte watched from her car seat out the back window. Owen was working late, so I had to be the lighter. Oh the screams and laughter! (Mine) Especially when one zinger shot into the sky...right towards us! Luckily it landed on the roof and extinguished itself.

Happy Chinese New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment