Thursday, January 5, 2017

Highlight #10

It's taken me a week to catch up. But I've saved my favorite highlight for last.

Highlight #10 - My family!
This crazy, talented, sweet, chaotic, independent, amazing, chicken-loving group of people is my tribe. They keep me busy as I drive them to music lessons, make meals, attend races, and get them to church activities. But I love that kind of of busy!

They also keep me busy with laundry (it is never-ending) which is NOT my favorite activity. Thankfully, they are dish-doers/kitchen-cleaners...even if they do have to be reminded. I also stay busy as I ride the emotional roller-coaster nearly everyday with these teenagers and an eight-going-on-sixteen child. But we're making progress. "I'm sorry" is a common phrase in our house...most often used by me.

These people are my favorite travel companions. They cheer for spontaneous stops on road trips. They support adventurous treat finding. Our favorite treats (besides the Dream Cones) were Schmakary's cookies in NYC and the all-you-can-eat buffet in Dutch county Pennsylvania. Truman ate the equivalent of five meals in two hours, plus three whoopee pies to top it off. He said, "I stopped eating when I started sweating." :) Madi and Elise are my Shakespeare-partners, joining me anytime I have a craving for theatre.

Don't get me wrong, we've had our share of heartaches this year. The fox attack on the chickens was devastating: bloody, terrifying, and tearful. Keeping up with school work and a stressful xcountry schedule nearly did us all in. Dad's new work schedule in April meant that after 4pm (the busiest part of the day) I was a single parent everyday. The strain on the high schoolers (who didn't see their Dad on school days) had a bigger impact than we anticipated. But we've managed. Together.

The biggest blessing of my life is spending time with these people. I feel joy in seeing their progression. They keep me from getting lonely.

And we couldn't have managed half a well as we did this year, without the help from these people:



Grandparents are the best! Their love, support, and hardwork not only bless us, but inspire us to strive to do and be a little better.

Someone said, "Family isn't an important things. It's everything." Yep. That's true.

No comments:

Post a Comment