Sunday, September 1, 2013

Woodlands

Our entire US summer visit was contingent on one family: the Woodlands. They graciously allowed us to stay in their home in Centerville Utah for weeks (yes, weeks with an "s"!).

In addition to getting to stay in their lovely home, we loved spending time with them. On our first night, as we unpacked from our long flight, CJ disappeared. I found her upstairs with Aunt Connie reading books. This is the first time CJ had met Aunt Connie. They got along splendidly!
 We spent a fun evening walking by the Bountiful Temple followed by custard at the Galaxy shop.
 
My cousin Luke joined us multiple evenings for pounce and ice cream. And when I pulled out my small box of sparklers (admittedly a bit pathetic), Luke supplemented our 4th of July celebration with some REAL fireworks. There may have been a tipped-over firework, fire, and screams (from men, women, and children) as sparks flew toward us instead of the sky, but I swore I'd never tell. 
A highlight of the entire summer was listening to my Uncle Lee read aloud his children's book. We gathered in his lamp-lit living room. The kids snuggled on the couch in their pjs.
Mackie, Uncle Lee's faithful companion, endured our affection then trotted around until he found a comfy spot, usually near Uncle Lee's feet.
 
The story, rife with allusions to real family stories, beautiful descriptions and heart-tugging moments, brought us to laughter and tears. My children looked forward to story time with Uncle Lee and often begged me, "Just one more chapter, please?" There was such a feeling of love and peace as I sat with my children and basked in the beautiful words and story.  I'm sure there will be a day this book will be sitting on the Barnes and Noble bookshelves. And I will always remember the joy of these summer nights getting to hear it for the first time.

On my last day in the United States, I was a wreck. There were too many bags to pack and weigh. Then I realized I had more room in a suitcase and took a crazy last minute shopping trip to Target and Costco. And the thought of 30 hours of travel had me in a panic. Thankfully, Aunt Connie took my kids to the park and to Dairy Queen (for corndogs and blizzards - another summer "to do" checklist item). Thanks to Aunt Connie, my children's last day in America was full of good things and good memories.

Thank you, Woodlands, for all the love and for making our summer so memorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment