Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Fairytales

CJ: "Mom, is this the town from Beauty and the Beast?"
Tman: "Mom, is this town real? Or is it a pretend town like Williamsburg or the ones at Disneyland?"

The town of Colmar looked so much like the fictional representations of fairytales, my children had a hard time believing this was REAL.
From the crooked buildings painted in bright blues, yellows, and pinks to the meandering canal with charming bridges and flower boxes...it was easy to imagine Belle coming around the corner singing "Bonjour!"  
 
And just a short drive away, sitting majestically atop a hill...a real castle.  The Château du Haut-Kœnigsbourg was built in the 1100's (wowza!) and was restored between 1900-1908.  
 
 Leasie and CJ shot arrows from the archery windows.
Real spears in the castle armory.
Tman leaves the castle armed and dangerous with his Mace.
I have nothing profound to say about this. All I have to say is that I may not live a fairytale life, or have a fairytale ending. And that's okay. My life is much more complicated than easily recognizable villains, princes on white horses, magic, or even the too simplistic "happily ever after." But these days in France were as close to a fairytale as I will get. I loved exploring, eating, and watching my kids experience this beautiful, real-life place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment