Friday, October 26, 2012

Pumpkins

Last year, we celebrated Halloween without real pumpkins. There were a few bright orange, traditional pumpkins in the grocery stores...but with a price tag of a whopping 700,000 rupiah (that's $70!), we passed. I considered carving watermelons last year, since they are cheap and in great abundance here. But we didn't actually get around to doing it.

This year, however, I found some small orange pumpkins at the local Hero grocery store in September. They were more reasonable priced, and so I snatched them up, and kept them in our fridge until today.

Then during our trip to Puncak a few weeks ago, we found some large pumpkins for sale at a roadside stand. So this year, we resumed a very fun tradition.
Sorry for the nudity - but this picture just makes me smile. CJ loved being right in the middle of the carving action. She had no problem pulling out the gooey innards.
I still love all our new experiences here in Jakarta, but I sure find comfort in family traditions.

2 comments:

  1. Who would of thought pumpkins would be so rare! I thought they grew practically anywhere- they definitely aren't hard to grow that's for sure....maybe you can grow them yourself next year and sell them there! $70 a pumpkin- that would be some good $! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on reviving an Abbe tradition. Obviously the kids didn't forget how to carve their pumpkins. I love your floor. One of our friends used to live there many years ago and had the same kind of flooring. Happy Halloween to the Abbe family.

    ReplyDelete