Sunday, April 1, 2012

Faces of Bali

On the stone steps leading to Gunug Kawi, we meet half way. She is going up. I am walking down. She is not out of breath, no dampness on her brow, no sign of exertion. I wonder how many times a day she makes this trek.

At the restaurant in Ubud, the waitress takes our friend, Teagan, and CJ by the hand. She leads them to the garden and takes pictures of them with her cell phone. She is much more shy when I ask to take her picture.
At first, we are adversaries because I am looking for a bargain while she is looking for a profit. We barter over the handmade batik quilt that hangs in her shop. When we finally strike a deal with a handshake, she is instantly my friend. (I think she was happy with the price). She marvels at my "lima anak anak" (FIVE children!) and tells me about her own daughter who also sews and does handiwork.
The Balinese dancer poses for pictures after the sunset show at Ulawatu. Her finger nails (unfortunately not pictured) extend at least an inch past her finger tips.

The Ibu selling sundresses at the beach. We bought four dresses ($6 each).
We hear the procession for the temple festival long before they arrive. Singing to a drum beat proceeds them. This group of ladies arrives first. They are the temple workers. They are old and at least half are toothless. But they smile brightly and come chat with me before the festival begins. I can't help but think of my own grandma who worked at the temple in Idaho in her later years.
The temple festival procession!

Of all the faces of Bali, these are my favorite. We loved sharing our experience with the Tree family. They are members of our churc,h and we are lucky enough to have them as neighbors. We stayed at the same hotel in Bali and enjoyed beach going, touring, and dining together.

This was our lunch in Ubud with a view of the rice paddies.

1 comment:

  1. Love these pictures! I am so happy that you guys got to go. Looks like an amazing trip!! Any monkey pictures? We got some great ones in the monkey forest. So fun to be able to speak the language! Wow! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete