Saturday, August 13, 2011

Cooking

I'd been warned that cooking in Indonesia would take more time. Many newly arrived people opt for take-out and restaurants for the first week, just until they get settled. But with school starting for the kids and my philosophy about food (it's all about the love), I was bound and determined to make some home-cooked meals.

First meal: Mac&Cheese.

Easy, right?

I had brought a box of good 'ol Kraft Mac&Cheese in my suitcase. The kids were hungry, CJ was crying because she was tired-we'd just gotten back from a school orientation. So I whipped out my box of Mac&Cheese. Cheers all around!

I cooked those noodles and was just about to add the mix, when I suddenly realized I had cooked the noodles in tap water, not bottled water. Here in Indonesia, you can't even eat/drink the boiled water; it's still too dangerous. I didn't dare risk it - though I confess, I considered it for a moment. So the Mac&Cheese was ruined. I dumped the inedible noodles in the garbage. And I cried just a little bit.

The kids were greatly disappointed - there may have been some tears. We had Ramen instead.

Second attempt: Taco night.

Easy, right?

It's my go-to fastest meal. In the states I can have it on the table in 10 minutes flat.

Not here.

First, I had to soak the tomatoes and lettuce in the vegetable wash and rinse them with bottled water. The lettuce had to be done leaf by leaf. (20 minutes) Next, I cooked the meat and was ready to tear open a seasoning packet...uh oh, no seasoning packet. I made up my own mix (thank goodness I had mailed my spices ahead of time). (10 minutes) Time to grate the cheese from the block of cheese I had frozen and brought in my suitcase. Uh oh, no cheese grater. My husband cut the cheese in fine pieces (10 minutes). Tortillas which I'd brought in my suitcase - check.

40 minutes later dinner was on the table. At least I didn't have to go out and butcher a cow.

Since those first two experiences I have made pumpkin muffins (actually found Libby's canned pumpkin in a grocery store!) and pancakes (topped with Lisa's delicious homemade thimbleberry jam). So I'm getting there.

But next time you fill your pot with water from the tap--or rip open a bag of shredded cheese--or rinse your vegetables with plain water, think of me. And be grateful. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment