Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Writer's Conference Part 2

This has very little to do with the writer's conference, and even less to do with writing...it just happened to be the same trip.

So my dear friend Lisa called me Wednesday before my trip and told me she'd love to come with me. I had made a blanket invitation to all my friends (since I had a room with two double beds) but never really thought anyone would be able to make arrangements. I was skeptical that she really wanted to come and hang out at a hotel all Saturday. But she assured me that time alone with a laptop and room service would be heavenly.

I'm so glad she came! I forgot how long 4 and 1/2 hours is in the car - but with a friend to talk to and laugh with, it was a piece of cake. I forgot how lonely a hotel room can be when you're solo - but with Lisa, it was like a slumber party.

My favorite moments of the weekend:
* Lisa administering CPR to "Judy Garland" (her not-so-trusty GPS).
* Michael's (Lisa's husband) suggestion, via phone, that we go into NYC Saturday night because "you're only 30 minutes away."
* Fabulous dinner find - little Italian restaurant between 40th and 41st street. Got seated in a window seat so we could watch the NY foot traffic (fascinating and entertaining).
* Catching the broadway play Screwtape Letters based on CS Lewis' book. So good! Great seats! And out by 10pm!
* Back in the hotel by 10:30pm and choosing to watch a pay-per-view movie "Salt."
* Yummy breakfasts two mornings in a row.
* Having fun with a friend all weekend long!

No comments:

Post a Comment